Fort Worth – Texas Children in Nature Network 2021 Summit
December 2 @ 8:30 am - December 3 @ 12:00 pm$50 – $200
About this event
The 2021 Texas Children in Nature Network Summit: Inspiring Leaders for Healthier, Happier, and Smarter Kids will take place on December 2-3, 2021 at the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens and Botanical Research Institute of Texas, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76107. The Summit is a full day (8:30-6:00) Thursday, and a half-day (8:30-12:00) Friday with optional post-conference workshops on Friday afternoon. During this two-day Summit, TCiNN will bring together health, education, built environment, faith and conservation community leaders to shape an even brighter future for the children of Texas. TCiNN will convene over 250 community leaders to strengthen the network and develop opportunities and policies that will connect more children and families in nature. During 2020 many things changed in the world and for Texas Children in Nature Network. One of the biggest lessons from the pandemic has been in importance of equitable access to nature for our health and the need for more space for us to live, learn and play outdoors. With this in mind TCiNN has planned this year’s Summit with a focus on our lessons learned this past year, and how to move forward in a world looking for more opportunities in nature. Key-note speakers:
- Thursday afternoon – Angela Hanscom, author of Balanced and Barefoot. As an occupational therapist Angela has specialized in nature interventions for children and the need for natural environments for child development. She will be speaking on her work and what she has learned through her work at the TimberNook Center in New Hampshire.
- Friday morning – Lisa Carlson, Immediate Past President of the American Public Health Association. During her time with APHA Lisa has advocated for nature as a public health strategy, she will be sharing her insights on how we can make strides for a healthier community by incorporating more nature into our communities.
- Friday morning, December 3rd, will feature a panel discussion of the importance of creating a more equitable outdoors, and creating a welcoming experience at our nature sites. Panel speakers will include: David Buggs, Alex Bailey, and Jaime Gonzalez.
- Access to Nature
- Community Engagement and Partnerships
- Equity and Inclusion
- Formal and Informal Education
- OLE! Texas (Outdoor Learning Environments in Early Childhood Settings)
- Physical and Mental Health
- Forest Bathing
- Funders Panel
- Texas Children in Nature Network has a conference block of 50 rooms at the SpringHill Suites Fort Worth University, 3250 Lovell Ave, Fort Worth, TX 76117. The hotel features a free breakfast, fitness center, free WiFi and outdoor pool. Room rate in the conference block is $109/night (plus tax) for either a single king or double queen room. Room block will be held until November 12, 2021. Call 817-878-2554 and state you are attending our Summit in order to book within our room block. Or, you can register with this link.
- Other nearby hotels
- A shuttle service will be available from the SpringHill Suites to the conference at set times during the day. Parking is also available at the Botanic Garden and BRIT if you choose to drive yourself to the Summit.
- Lunch at the BRIT on Thursday (December 2) is included with full registration. Lunch at the BRIT on Friday (December 3) will be included in tickets for any post-conference workshops.
- Happy Hour on Thursday (December 2) is included with full registration.
- Breakfast and dinner is on you own.
- Find updated schedules, information and conference details on our conference webpage.