In 1871, the Catholic Bishop of the State of Texas, Claude Marie Dubuis, sold the galera, an Americanism for “shed” referring to the rectangular structure that included the Alamo barracks, south gate, and jail, to the City of San Antonio for $2,500. The deed included the following following restriction:
“And it being understood that the property hereby conveyed is as conveyed on condition that it shall be dedicated to the public use as an open space, and be made a part of and one with, the public plaza above and below it, now known as the Alamo Plaza and the Plaza de Valero.”
The initial design of a reimagined Alamo Plaza ignores the deed restriction of 1871, and specifically creates a structural glass interpretive wall to provide an enclosure of the historic setting, rather than studying the documents of the past… Read more from the Rivard Report